Keep the Trail Access info current...
Select items to indicate conditions for access to the trail.
Large Car Park
Small Car Park
Keep the Trail Features current...
Select items to indicate features found along the trail.
Prams & Strollers
Mountain Bike Trail
Historic Rail Trail
Coast & Beach
Waterfalls & Lakes
Goldfields & Mining
The Coastal Walk is a 30km, grade 3 One Way hike located in Mornington Peninsula National Park Victoria. The hike should take approximately 8hrs to complete.
The Coastal walk along the southern side of the Mornington Peninsula offers spectacular scenery stretching 30kms between Cape Schanck and the Point Nepean National Park. The Coastal Walk encompasses many smaller sections of Ocean Beach walking trails, some along gravel tracks and parts along the sandy beaches. It changes from rugged rocky ocean coast at Cape Schanck to dense coastal vegetation along the way and finally to the famous sandy surf beaches through Rye and Sorrento. There are several sections that can be completed seperately as shorter walks if desired.
- Cape Schanck to Gunnamatta Beach (6.7km): Find your way through dense coastal vegetation and past three spectacular lookouts.
- Gunnamatta to Rye Ocean Beach (4.5km): Along the surf beach past Boags Rocks to the stairs.
- Rye Ocean Beach to No 16 Beach (4.1km): Shorter inland track sections loop around two small headlands past the rugged outcrop known as Lizard Rock and through the dunes.
- No.16 Beach to Bridgewater Bay (5km): Along the the historic Lifesaving Track built to rescue people from shipwrecks in the 1890’s, to the picturesque Dimmicks Beach, spectacular clifftops and the rockpools at Bridgewater Bay.
- Bridgewater Bay to Sorrento (5km): Past Spray Point (make a quick detour to check out this spectacular headland) to Koonya Ocean Beach to Diamond Bay (and another detour option to the aptly named Dog’s Head). Continue on to Coppins Lookout and the start of the Coppins Track heritage trail.
- Sorrento to London Bridge (4km): Take the short detour to Websters Lookout for stunning views over both Sorrento and Port Phillip. On to the Portsea Surf Beach and the Farnsworth track along the cliff tops past two scenic lookouts. At London Bridge make sure you check out the amazing rock pools visible at low tide.
- London Bridge to Point Nepean (1.7km): Just a short walk through historic Moonah woodlands takes you past Wilsons Folly and into Point Nepean.
Max elevation: 119 m
Min elevation: 1 m
Total climbing: 484 m
Total descent: -516 m
Source: Visit Mornington peninsula