Passionate About Trail Hiking
www.trailhiking.com.au was established as a hobby by me, Darren Edwards, in 2015 to further the development of trails and promotion of trail hiking as a major health benefit the the Australian public.
For many years I have been passionate about hiking and my aims are to:
- Encourage the Australian public to take charge of their health through hiking
- Make it easier for Australian’s and visitors from abroad to find quality web-based information on hiking trails.
- Be a central source of information regarding all things hiking including trail information, gear reviews, safety tips and planning advice.
- Connect adventurers with each other and encourage everyone to ‘discover a new adventure!’
- Put Australia on the map as a trails destination.
- The addition of trails to the website is an ongoing process. I am well on the way, but have a reasonable way to go before all of Australia’s trails are published on this site – so please be patient if your favourite trail isn’t there yet. Or better still, submit your favourite trails today.
Join the conversation and help me achieve my goals.
- Join me in reviewing and commenting on trails, upload your favourite trails and share trails with your friends.
- Use the hashtag #trailhikingaust when you share your trail pics on social media
- Join us on Facebook
- If you have any feedback or questions please contact me via the form below
The evolution of Trail Hiking?
Hiking is something I have always enjoyed. Over the past few years I have tracked and photographed every hike, written trail notes and now run one of Victoria’s largest hiking groups so that I can share my passion with like-minded people. After chatting with fellow hikers, and through searching for new adventures for myself I realised how difficult it was to find useful information about hiking.
As I had been busy recording all of my hikes we what better way than to create a website for others to enjoy.
As such, Trail Hiking was born.
My site offers detailed information on hiking trails primarily throughout Victoria, including trail descriptions, key features, pictures, maps, gpx files, elevation profiles and more. Additionally, the site is organised to make it easier for hikers to compare and choose trails that best suit their hiking preferences. Before the launch of Trail Hiking, hikers had difficulty finding detailed web-based trail information. Most existing sites list only a handful of the most popular trails, and provide only limited information without regard to individual hikers’ skill level or preferences.
With my website, you can search for trails based on location, hiking grading, distance, or via the ‘Near Me’ feature which will display all hiking trails within a 50km radius of your location. I hosts gpx files for all trails so that you can easily navigate to the start point and the trail itself. This information will benefit any day or overnight hiker; including people looking for a short stroll to a nearby lake, to the long distance hiker looking to visit the Alpine National Park, as well as hikes of varying lengths and difficulty in-between.
My goal is for Trail Hiking Australia to become the most comprehensive source for free information on hiking trails throughout Australia. In order to do this I am seeking your support. Please send my your trail info and GPX files for inclusion on our site.
If you’re looking for another adventure checkout this site, sign up for new post notifications and like us on Facebook and follow all of my social media channels.
Hope to see you on a trail one day.
Melbourne, Victoria 3000