Ideas for lunch on the trail

Trail Hiking Australia Forums Food and Recipes Ideas for lunch on the trail

• Creator
    Topic
    Avatar of Grant HollingworthGrant Hollingworth
    Participant

I saw that a chat has been started for breakfast ideas, so I though’t I may as well start one for lunch ideas. This ones for all the hikers out there.

What do you take for lunch on your day hikes? AND What do you take on overnight or multi-day hikes.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Avatar of Torsten BungeTorsten Bunge
      Participant
      Up
      Down
      ::

I don’t like hiking with a full stomach so I tend to graze during my hike rather than have an actual lunch. Bars, jerky, lollies, hard-boiled eggs, Baby-Bel cheese usually make up my “trail blend” kept within easy reach so I can snack every 15 – 20 minutes without stopping

Avatar of Darren EdwardsDarren Edwards
        Keymaster
        Up
        Down

Sounds like a tasty mix. I’ve never tried hard boiled eggs but all the other things you mentioned are my staples. Especially the jerky which I try to make myself when I can. Totally agree with snacking regularly rather than stopping for a larger lunch. I find I’m better if I can regularly refuel rather than waiting until my muscles are screaming out for energy.

Avatar of Grant HollingworthGrant Hollingworth
      Participant
      Up
      Down

I may as well be the first to answer my own question while I’m here. For day hikes, I like to take wraps with a bit of turkey, baby spinach, walnuts and a bit of dressing. Generally followed up with a couple of hard-boiled eggs. The turkey depends on the weather though and I’ll swap that out with tinned chicken if the days going to be warm.

Avatar of Darren EdwardsDarren Edwards
        Keymaster
        Up
        Down

I used to always have turkey wraps but have become a bit lazy lately and haven’t bothered going to the effort of making anything specific. For day hikes, I usually grab a cheese and bacon roll from the bakery. Overnighters and m,ulti-day hikes are different and lately its been cheese and crackers.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.