Keep the Trail Access info current...
Select items to indicate conditions for access to the trail.
Large Car Park
Small Car Park
Keep the Trail Features current...
Kosciuszko National Park...
Select items to indicate features found along the trail.
Prams & Strollers
Mountain Bike Trail
Historic Rail Trail
Coast & Beach
Waterfalls & Lakes
Goldfields & Mining
Pallaibo walking track in Kosciuszko National Park is a popular walk for fishing and picnicking by the river, birdwatching, or enjoying nature or wildlife photography. It can be completed as either a one-way walk (5.6km) or return route. Going in one direction, this lovely track begins at picturesque Sawpit Creek picnic area and finishes at Thredbo River picnic area. Most visitors arrange to be picked up from Thredbo River picnic area for convenience.
Follow your way through dry eucalypt forests, along Sawpit walking track, before continuing past the scenic Sawpit Falls and Charlie's Cascades. Keep your eyes peeled for the interesting wildlife you can spot along the way, including wood ducks, flame robins, crimson rosellas, Australian magpies, and wedge-tailed eagles. If you're lucky, you may even spot a platypus.
This is a great walk at any time of year. When the temperatures are high on the exposed higher altitude tracks in the park, don't worry; there's plenty of shelter and shade on this track.
Take a virtual tour of Pallaibo walking track captured with Google Street View Trekker.
About the region
Kosciuszko National Park spoils you with snow sports, walks and mountain biking in the Snowy Mountains. Go camping, explore caves, climb Australia's highest mountain, or stay in heritage accommodation. There are 7 areas in this park:
1. Thredbo-Perisher area is your gateway to Mount Kosciuszko. Find NSW's favourite ski resorts, top alpine hikes, mountain bike trails, and endless adventures in the Snowy Mountains.
2. The Lower Snowy River area embraces the wild south of Kosciuszko National Park. Camp by the Snowy River and explore the scenic trails on a walk, bike or horse ride.
3. Khancoban area is the western gateway to Kosciuszko National Park. Discover Geehi and Tom Groggin's camp spots, fishing, and riding. Marvel at the Western Fall views or explore huts and hikes in the Jagungal Wilderness.
4. The Selwyn area is your perfect base to explore the walks, rides, and top fishing spots of central Kosciuszko National Park. Selwyn Snow Resort and historic Kiandra are closed due to severe fire damage.
5. The Yarrangobilly area is a highlight of northern Kosciuszko National Park. Explore jaw-dropping caves on a guided tour and swim in the thermal pool. Stay at historic Caves House and enjoy the walks and wildlife.
6. The Tumut area is your launch pad into northern Kosciuszko National Park. Discover water sports and wildlife at Blowering Reservoir. Camp and explore hidden walks and waterfalls in the foothills of the Snowy Mountains.
7. The High Plains area spoils you with summer walks, horse rides and bike trails to mountain huts, caves, and gorges. Camp, stay in Currango's heritage cottages, and discover Kosciuszko's wild north-east corner.
Pallaibo walking track starts at Sawpit Creek picnic area in the southern precinct of Kosciuszko National Park.To get there:Drive along Kosciuszko Road from Jindabyne towards Perisher ValleyAfter crossing Thredbo River, the end of the walk is immediately on your left at Thredbo River picnic area.Continue to the starting point along Kosciuszko Road400m past Kosciuszko Education Centre, turn left into Kosciuszko Mountain Retreat.Take the first left down a short dirt road to reach the picnic area The picnic area can be accessed via a short paved walk from Kosciuszko Education Centre. Road quality All 2WD vehicles need to carry snow chains in winter, between June and October long weekends, on: Kosciuszko Road (to Perisher) Guthega Road Alpine Way between Thredbo and Tom Groggin Snow chains are recommended for all vehicles driving in the park, including 4WD and AWD, in the event of extreme weather. Read our snow driving in Kosciuszko tips. Parking Parking is available at Sawpit Creek picnic area, Kosciuszko Education Centre and Thredbo River picnic area. Bus parking is available at the education centre.
Visit NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service for more information on this trail.
The longitude and latitude of the start and end points are approximately only and should not be used for navigation purposes. Please contact me if you know the correct coordinates.