Keep the Trail Access info current...
Select items to indicate conditions for access to the trail.
Large Car Park
Small Car Park
Keep the Trail Features current...
Kosciuszko National Park...
Select items to indicate features found along the trail.
Prams & Strollers
Mountain Bike Trail
Historic Rail Trail
Coast & Beach
Waterfalls & Lakes
Goldfields & Mining
Enjoy the exquisite scenery and fascinating alpine heritage along Round Mountain Hut walking track. Starting from the signposted trackhead off Swampy Plains Road, this short summer Snowy Mountains walk takes you through a beautiful subalpine habitat into Jagungal Wilderness Area.
The corrugated iron hut boasts historic remnants from yesteryear and makes a scenic spot for a picnic, before you head back along the same track.
Time your visit with wildflower season, when the walking track comes alive with buttercups, billy buttons, waxy bluebells and daisies. If you're walking between April and October, take a good look at the olive-barked black sallee trees - their star-shaped clusters of flower buds are simply beautiful.
About the region
Kosciuszko National Park spoils you with snow sports, walks and mountain biking in the Snowy Mountains. Go camping, explore caves, climb Australia's highest mountain, or stay in heritage accommodation. There are 7 areas in this park:
1. Thredbo-Perisher area is your gateway to Mount Kosciuszko. Find NSW's favourite ski resorts, top alpine hikes, mountain bike trails, and endless adventures in the Snowy Mountains.
2. The Lower Snowy River area embraces the wild south of Kosciuszko National Park. Camp by the Snowy River and explore the scenic trails on a walk, bike or horse ride.
3. Khancoban area is the western gateway to Kosciuszko National Park. Discover Geehi and Tom Groggin's camp spots, fishing, and riding. Marvel at the Western Fall views or explore huts and hikes in the Jagungal Wilderness.
4. The Selwyn area is your perfect base to explore the walks, rides, and top fishing spots of central Kosciuszko National Park. Selwyn Snow Resort and historic Kiandra are closed due to severe fire damage.
5. The Yarrangobilly area is a highlight of northern Kosciuszko National Park. Explore jaw-dropping caves on a guided tour and swim in the thermal pool. Stay at historic Caves House and enjoy the walks and wildlife.
6. The Tumut area is your launch pad into northern Kosciuszko National Park. Discover water sports and wildlife at Blowering Reservoir. Camp and explore hidden walks and waterfalls in the foothills of the Snowy Mountains.
7. The High Plains area spoils you with summer walks, horse rides and bike trails to mountain huts, caves, and gorges. Camp, stay in Currango's heritage cottages, and discover Kosciuszko's wild north-east corner.
Round Mountain Hut walking track is in the central precinct of Kosciuszko National Park. To get there, from Khancoban:Drive along Alpine Way for around 5.8km to the Swampy Plains Creek Road turn-offContinue for about 39km until you reach the Round Mountain trackheadKhancoban is around 108km from Jindabyne along the Alpine Way Road quality There's no vehicle access to the trackhead of Round Mountain Hut walking track in winter, and road may close in extreme weather. It's recommended that all vehicles carry snow chains from the June to October long weekends. Read our snow driving in Kosciuszko tips. Parking Parking is available in a large carpark adjacent to Cabramurra Road at the trackhead.
Visit NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service for more information on this trail.
The longitude and latitude of the start and end points are approximately only and should not be used for navigation purposes. Please contact me if you know the correct coordinates.