Keep the Trail Access info current...
Select items to indicate conditions for access to the trail.
Large Car Park
Small Car Park
Keep the Trail Features current...
Kosciuszko National Park...
Select items to indicate features found along the trail.
Prams & Strollers
Mountain Bike Trail
Historic Rail Trail
Coast & Beach
Waterfalls & Lakes
Goldfields & Mining
Take a beautiful and fascinating walk into the history of Kiandra, home to one of the shortest gold rushes in Australian history. Lasting from November 1859 to March 1861, at its peak in April 1860, up to 8,000 people were staking their hopes on the Kiandra diggings. Within a few years, they had given up and the population of this remote mountain town had stabilised at just 350.
The short self-guided walk starts at the former courthouse, in the Kiandra Heritage precinct, and there are plenty of signs along the way to find out more about the history of the area and what life might have been like in this historic town.
About the region
Kosciuszko National Park spoils you with snow sports, walks and mountain biking in the Snowy Mountains. Go camping, explore caves, climb Australia's highest mountain, or stay in heritage accommodation. There are 7 areas in this park:
1. Thredbo-Perisher area is your gateway to Mount Kosciuszko. Find NSW's favourite ski resorts, top alpine hikes, mountain bike trails, and endless adventures in the Snowy Mountains.
2. The Lower Snowy River area embraces the wild south of Kosciuszko National Park. Camp by the Snowy River, explore the scenic trails on a walk, bike or horse ride.
3. Khancoban area is the western gateway to Kosciuszko National Park. Discover Geehi and Tom Groggin's camp spots, fishing and riding. Marvel at the Western Fall views, or explore huts and hikes in the Jagungal Wilderness.
4. The Selwyn area is your perfect base to explore the walks, rides and top fishing spots of central Kosciuszko National Park. Selwyn Snow Resort and historic Kiandra are closed due to severe fire damage.
5. The Yarrangobilly area is a highlight of northern Kosciuszko National Park. Explore jaw-dropping caves on a guided tour and swim in the thermal pool. Stay at historic Caves House and enjoy the walks and wildlife.
6. The Tumut area is your launch pad into northern Kosciuszko National Park. Discover water sports and wildlife at Blowering Reservoir. Camp and explore hidden walks and waterfalls in the foothills of the Snowy Mountains.
7. The High Plains area spoils you with summer walks, horse rides and bike trails to mountain huts, caves and gorges. Camp, stay in Currango's heritage cottages, and discover Kosciuszko's wild north-east corner.
Kiandra is located between Tumut and Adaminaby. Take the Snowy Mountains Highway to reach the Kiandra heritage track Road quality It's recommended that all vehicles carry snow chains from the June to October long weekends. Read our snow driving in Kosciuszko tips. Parking Parking is available at the Kiandra heritage track
You might like to take insect repellent to ward off flies during the summer months.
There is limited mobile reception in this park.
Visit NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service for more information on this trail.
The longitude and latitude of the start and end points are approximately only and should not be used for navigation purposes. Please contact me if you know the correct coordinates.