Keep the Trail Access info current...
Select items to indicate conditions for access to the trail.
Large Car Park
Small Car Park
Keep the Trail Features current...
Kosciuszko National Park...
Select items to indicate features found along the trail.
Prams & Strollers
Mountain Bike Trail
Historic Rail Trail
Coast & Beach
Waterfalls & Lakes
Goldfields & Mining
Starting from Thredbo Diggings campground or Bullocks Flat SkiTube carpark, this short track meanders alongside the Thredbo River and takes around an hour each way or 30mins if you're riding.
Along the way, you'll pass historic Bullocks Hut and be treated to views of rocky mountain ranges that are often capped with snow. If you bring your fishing gear there are plenty of spots to stop and try your luck catching one of the many trout here. The glassy waters of the river are so clear you're likely to spot fish swimming their way upstream.
Wallabies and kangaroos are also a common sight along the track and, during spring, wildflowers such as the yellow bossia and purple hovea are in bloom. Be sure to keep a look out too for platypus in the pools around dawn and dusk.
Return the same way or loop back to your start point on the Thredbo Valley track, which can also be accessed from both the campground or carpark. From Bullocks Hut, you can also continue along a 1.4km track to Lake Crackenback.
About the region
Kosciuszko National Park spoils you with snow sports, walks and mountain biking in the Snowy Mountains. Go camping, explore caves, climb Australia's highest mountain, or stay in heritage accommodation. There are 7 areas in this park:
1. Thredbo-Perisher area is your gateway to Mount Kosciuszko. Find NSW's favourite ski resorts, top alpine hikes, mountain bike trails, and endless adventures in the Snowy Mountains.
2. The Lower Snowy River area embraces the wild south of Kosciuszko National Park. Camp by the Snowy River and explore the scenic trails on a walk, bike or horse ride.
3. Khancoban area is the western gateway to Kosciuszko National Park. Discover Geehi and Tom Groggin's camp spots, fishing, and riding. Marvel at the Western Fall views or explore huts and hikes in the Jagungal Wilderness.
4. The Selwyn area is your perfect base to explore the walks, rides, and top fishing spots of central Kosciuszko National Park. Selwyn Snow Resort and historic Kiandra are closed due to severe fire damage.
5. The Yarrangobilly area is a highlight of northern Kosciuszko National Park. Explore jaw-dropping caves on a guided tour and swim in the thermal pool. Stay at historic Caves House and enjoy the walks and wildlife.
6. The Tumut area is your launch pad into northern Kosciuszko National Park. Discover water sports and wildlife at Blowering Reservoir. Camp and explore hidden walks and waterfalls in the foothills of the Snowy Mountains.
7. The High Plains area spoils you with summer walks, horse rides and bike trails to mountain huts, caves, and gorges. Camp, stay in Currango's heritage cottages, and discover Kosciuszko's wild north-east corner.
To Bullocks Flat. Bullocks walking track is in the southern precinct of Kosciuszko National Park.To get there:From Jindabyne, drive along Kosciuszko Road and turn left onto Alpine Way.You can access the track from Thredbo Diggings campground, Bullocks Flat carpark 'C' (opposite the Skitube terminal), or Lake Crackenback Resort. Park entry points Bullocks Flat See on map Road quality All 2WD vehicles need to carry snow chains in winter, between June and October long weekends, on: Kosciuszko Road (to Perisher) Guthega Road Alpine Way between Thredbo and Tom Groggin Snow chains are recommended for all vehicles driving in the park, including 4WD and AWD, in the event of extreme weather. Read our snow driving in Kosciuszko tips. Parking Parking is available, including several designated disabled spots. It can be busy on weekends and holidays so parking may be limited.
Visit NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service for more information on this trail.
The longitude and latitude of the start and end points are approximately only and should not be used for navigation purposes. Please contact me if you know the correct coordinates.