Keep the Trail Access info current...
Select items to indicate conditions for access to the trail.
Large Car Park
Small Car Park
Keep the Trail Features current...
Barrington Tops National Park...
Select items to indicate features found along the trail.
Prams & Strollers
Mountain Bike Trail
Historic Rail Trail
Coast & Beach
Waterfalls & Lakes
Goldfields & Mining
At an altitude of 1,500m, you'll have your head in the clouds on this high country track that captures the rare beauty of the plateau region of Barrington Tops National Park, between Scone and Gloucester. From Junction Pools campground, Aeroplane Hill walking track takes in scenic woodlands and wetlands linking with spectacular Careys Peak lookout, where you can gaze out at views to the coast.
Crossing Barrington River, you'll pass through snow grass studded with snow and mountain gums. Approaching Black Swamp campground, notice how the landscape changes, giving way to sedges. This unique sub-alpine area is a hotbed for rare and threatened species of plants and wildlife, with some only found in this region, such as the broad-toothed rat and several rare ground orchids.
Pitch your tent at walk-in Wombat Creek campground and enjoy a night under the stars, or retrace your steps to your car.
Take a virtual tour of Aeroplane Hill walking track captured with Google Street View Trekker.
About the region
Barrington Tops National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Aeroplane Hill walking track starts at Junction Pools campground in the Barrington Tops precinct of Barrington Tops National Park. To get there:From Gloucester take Thunderbolts Way; this road becomes Scone Road and Barrington Tops Forest Road.Turn left into Barrington trail at Barrington trail picnic area located on the left after passing Devils Hole. Follow Barrington trail for approximately 12.5km to Junction Pools campground. Barrington trail is only open to vehicles from October 1 - May 31 Parking Parking is available at Junction Pools campground.
- Barrington trail is open to vehicles from 1 October-31 May
- Check the weather or contact NPWS Gloucester area office on (02) 6538 5300 before you set out. Access via Barrington trail to Aeroplane Hill walking track, may be closed at other times of year due to snow, ice and rain.
- Weather can change quickly and dramatically in the plateau region, so please ensure you arrive well-prepared.
- If you're bushwalking in this park, it's a good idea to bring a topographic map, compass and GPS.
- A water-based mould (Phytophthora cinnamomi) is prevalent in this area. The mould attacks the roots of plants causing them to rot, causing a dieback of trees and plants. Efforts are in place to contain the area of contamination north of Black Swamp. Assist the long-term containment of the mould by cleaning your shoes before and after entering this region.
- A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters
- It's a good idea to put sunscreen on before you set out and remember to take a hat and plenty of water
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
Visit NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service for more information on this trail.
The longitude and latitude of the start and end points are approximately only and should not be used for navigation purposes. Please contact me if you know the correct coordinates.