What’s your favourite navigation tool?

Trail Hiking Australia Forums Navigation What’s your favourite navigation tool?

Tagged: , ,

• Creator
    Topic
    Avatar of Samantha HeraldSamantha Herald
    Participant

I generally carry and map and compass but mostly rely on an app with offline maps and gps tracking. What do you use?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Avatar of Darren EdwardsDarren Edwards
      Keymaster
      Up
      Down
      ::

I used to only use a map and compass but these days, I find an app on my phone is a great way to quickly find my location. For the most part, I visually read the terrain to understand where I’m going and where I’ve been. I always have a compass in my pack and take a hard copy topo map on more challenging or remote hikes.

Participant
        Up
        Down

I’ve gotta get better at visually reading the terrain. I’m ok with it but tend to rely on my devices a lot.

Avatar of Darren BowmanDarren Bowman
      Participant
      Up
      Down

I’m old school and rely on map and compass. I recently learnt how to upload a gpx file into my Garmin watch, but I don’t like the lack of context the small screen provides, especially without a background map. I guess a gps with maps would be better. I’ve only ever used a basic gps to confirm my position.

Avatar of Darren EdwardsDarren Edwards
        Keymaster
        Up
        Down

I agree with you about the small watch face. I find GPS watches are useful for recording but I never really rely on them for anything else.

Avatar of Torsten BungeTorsten Bunge
      Participant
      Up
      Down

My phone with the Strava app. I always pre-plan my routes with Strava and download to use offline so can follow the trail even without mobile reception.

Participant
        Up
        Down

Haven’t used Strava. Is that a free service?

Participant
        Up
        Down

There is a free version but really only lets you record your workout and not much else. Around $100/yr gets you the premium features and access to their other services such as Fat Map and Recover. Beacon is another great feature, lets you share your live workout with contacts who can then track you live. Good piece of mind if you’re out on your own and also part of the free version I believe.

Participant
        Up
        Down

Thank you. I’ll take a look at it this week. I’m not big on subscription services but sounds like you really like it.

Participant
        Up
        Down

I’m the same when it comes to subscription but love Strava. Only started using the paid version a few years ago but wouldn’t go back; the features are great, developers reinvest to improve features and services and the platform was integral to my recovery from a serious injury. Wouldn’t be without it,

Participant
        Up
        Down

Awesome. You’ve convinced me to fork out some cash and take a look. Thank you

Avatar of Grant HollingworthGrant Hollingworth
        Participant
        Up
        Down

It’s well worth the money

Avatar of Grant WalkerGrant Walker
      Participant
      Up
      Down

If I see someone using the GaiaGPS app, I figure they know what they’re doing.

If I see someone using the Avenza Maps app with NYNJTC maps, I feel they have the best possible Catskills map to hand.

If I see someone using a map and compass, I know they have their shit together.

If I see someone navigating a trail with the AllTrails app, suddenly, I’m not so sure…

So many people I’ve met (lost) on the trail using the AllTrails app wouldn’t have a clue what they were doing if they turned off their phone. IMO it’s a dangerous tool.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.