What’s your best hiking hack?

Trail Hiking Australia Forums Hiking Tips and Hacks What’s your best hiking hack?

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    Avatar of Darren EdwardsDarren Edwards
    Keymaster

Tell us about the one hack you think makes all the difference to your hikes?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Avatar of Grant HollingworthGrant Hollingworth
      Participant
      Up
      Down
      ::

Oh, just thought of another one, noting you’ve covered layering in one of your blog posts.

Layer your clothing:
      1. Dress in layers to stay comfortable during hikes, especially in changing weather conditions.
      2. Start with a moisture-wicking base layer to keep sweat away from your skin.
      3. Add insulating layers like fleece or down to trap warmth.
      4. Finish with a waterproof and breathable outer shell to protect against wind and rain. Adjust as needed to regulate your body temperature.

Avatar of Grant HollingworthGrant Hollingworth
      Participant
      Up
      Down

OK. I’ve got two. The first one I had to do once because I forgot my first aid kit. Probably not my best recommendation.

1. DIY Duct Tape Blister Prevention: Prevent blisters by wrapping potential hot spots on your feet with duct tape before they become painful. The smooth surface reduces friction and can save you from discomfort during your hike.

2. Water Bladder Insulation: To keep your water from getting too warm in the sun, insulate your hydration bladder by wrapping it in a reflective emergency blanket or placing it inside an insulated sleeve. This helps maintain a refreshing temperature for your water during hot hikes.

Avatar of Grant WalkerGrant Walker
      Participant
      Up
      Down

This is not my best hack but its one that is fresh in my mind. To prevent chafing, apply a thin layer of petroleum jelly or similar to areas prone to chafing. For me this is usually between my thighs and occasionally under your arms. It reduces friction and helps prevent chafing that can make or break your day. It’s broken mine on a few occasions.

Avatar of Darren EdwardsDarren Edwards
        Keymaster
        Up
        Down

Yep, that’s an excellent hack. It’s only recently become an issue I need to consider. Not sure why.

Avatar of Grant WalkerGrant Walker
        Participant
        Up
        Down

We all start chafing at some point. 🙂

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.