What skill don’t you feel confident with?

Trail Hiking Australia Forums Hiking Skills What skill don’t you feel confident with?

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    Avatar of Darren EdwardsDarren Edwards
    Keymaster

On hikes I’ve led, some group members don’t have a lot of confidence with rock scrambling or boulder hopping. What skill is your nemesis?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Avatar of Grant WalkerGrant Walker
      Participant
      Up
      Down
      ::

I never felt ok about near vertical rock scrambling. A mate took me rock climbing and I’ve never looked back

Avatar of Grant HollingworthGrant Hollingworth
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Agree totally. Even if you don’t get passionate about rock climbing, it gives your a heap of confidence for hiking.

Avatar of Torsten BungeTorsten Bunge
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Yet to learn how to use a map and compass and generally rely on GPS maps, luckily my sense of direction is pretty solid and I study my planned route thoroughly before I hike.

Avatar of Grant HollingworthGrant Hollingworth
        Participant
        Up
        Down

I think studying the map thoroughly and understanding topography is the key. I always carry a map and compass but rarely need them as I like to read the terrain. Makes me feel more self-reliant.

Avatar of Irresist1bleIrresist1ble
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Well, when it comes to hiking, I usually trust my handy-dandy compass and a good ol’ paper map.

Avatar of Kate JacobsKate Jacobs
      Participant
      Up
      Down

I’n not great walking narrow ledges where there is a steep drop off. I’m not usually afraid of heights but for some reason it freaks me out.

Keymaster
        Up
        Down

You are certainly not alone there. Having a healthy level of fear is good.

Participant
        Up
        Down

I certainly have a fear. Doesn’t feel healthy at the time 🙂

Participant
      Up
      Down

I’m also not great with map and compass but try to work on it on most hikes. I use a phone app mostly but want a reliable backup plan.

Avatar of Irresist1bleIrresist1ble
      Participant
      Up
      Down

my nemesis skill would be navigation. I’ve got a terrible sense of direction, always ending up taking the wrong trail or getting lost in the wilderness. It’s become a running joke among my friends and family. So yeah, if there’s one thing I struggle with in hiking, it’s definitely finding my way around. 🧭

Keymaster
      Up
      Down

I’ve been thinking about this a bit more. I’m pretty comfortable with everything but there’s always room for improvement. One thing I don’t enjoy is turning around on a rock ledge with a full pack, to start climbing down.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.