What gear is essential?

Trail Hiking Australia Forums Gear and Equipment What gear is essential?

• Creator
    Topic
    Avatar of Kate JacobsKate Jacobs
    Participant

I’m planning a few overnight hikes and have heard a lot about ‘essential gear’. I already have an overnight pack, tent, mattress, sleeping bag, cooking gear, a bladder for my water, PLB, map, compass and first aid kit. I haven’t mentioned personal stuff like medication, clothing or food as I have that sorted. What else do you consider as essential items to take for an overnight or multi day hike? Am I missing something important?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Avatar of Torsten BungeTorsten Bunge
      Participant
      Up
      Down
      ::

“Essential” is one of those great words, it really depends on what you are planning. The true essentials; shelter, bedding, enough food and water are obvious. A PLB, water filter, first aid and survival kit with snake bite bandage I personally add to that category as well. The rest depends on your hike;

Where are you planning to go? Depending on the terrain you may need proper hiking shoes or boots for protection, if you’re only trekking on well maintained tracks you could use trail runners and save some weight. With steep inclines hiking poles are great & can really save strain on your legs. With the weather warming I really recommend knee high gaiters in case of snakes

What is the expected weather? Will you need rain gear or a good sun hat and buff or both. If the nights are going to be cold fleece pants and top or down jacket can be the difference between being comfortable or freezing cold.

Is there a water source or do you need to carry all of your water? One of my personal favourites; carry too much water and you get weighed down, don’t carry enough and you can end up in real trouble. I carry 3 litres per day as a minimum, more if water sources are sketchy or unreliable. Make sure you know where the water sources are along your route, plan to overnight at a water source if possible, have a plan B just in case and know where properties or dwellings are located near your route

A bit of a long-winded reply and I am by no means an expert overnighter having only done a handful myself but outside of the “true essentials” the rest will become apparent when you do your planning

Enjoy 😊

Avatar of Kate JacobsKate Jacobs
        Participant
        Up
        Down

So true that ‘essential’ is one of those great words. I believe I have the basic essentials down pat but you are so right, it all depends on what, where, how etc. You ask some really great questions that have me thinking and revisiting my planning. I’m assuming you weren’t expecting answers to your questions, but they were posed to prompt me to think a bit more. Really appreciate you taking the time to respond. 🙂

Avatar of Darren EdwardsDarren Edwards
      Keymaster
      Up
      Down

For day hikes, I think everyone should carry at least these items: Water, First-aid kit, PLB, 2x navigation aids, whistle, torch, emergency food, small knife. These items are always in my pack.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.