Victoria Trail Talk

Trail Hiking Australia Forums Victoria Hikers Victoria Trail Talk

• Creator
    Topic
    Avatar of Tim DiolosaTim Diolosa
    Participant

Favourite hike in Victoria? I did enjoy the GPT for its challenge of long days towards the end, little bit of rock scrambling & very few people on the trail.

Currently looking at finding something along the Alpine trail, but sooo difficult to get info on it. We bought a map, but looks like trails aren’t always complete. The Buller huts trail looks good, but the info presented sounds like you need to be a pro!

The Walhalla to Mt Baw Baw (42k) sounds good but again, questions, ie can you tent at Mt Baw Baw so you can turn around & walk the trek back to make it a 6 day hike??

My wife & I are always looking for at least a 7 day/100k hike. With all the effort you need to put into a hike, a 3-4 day hike feels rushed, not enough time to take in the serenity & relax.

Darren, a big thanks for all your time & effort you put into this website.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Avatar of Darren EdwardsDarren Edwards
      Keymaster
      Up
      Down
      ::

Whenever someone asks me that question, I always reply with the Mount Cobbler Plateau Circuit. For some reason this one has always stuck in my mind. There are so many amazing hikes in the Vic Alps though and the Fainter and Spion Kopje Firetrail Circuit is also one of my favourites. The Buller Huts Trail is awesome and exposes you to many of the great view points in the high country. It’s pretty much along obvious trails and 4WD tracks so if you take your time and enjoy the challenge, its really well worth it. You could always get a taste for it by doing something like the Viking Circuit (over 3-4 days). The Viking traverses some of the same route.

Re Walhalla to Mt Baw Baw, you could camp at Mount Buller but you’d need to pitch your tent outside the resort boundary. The plateau is fairly flat and open so you shouldn’t have any trouble doing that. If you are looking for longer hikes, have you looked at the Wilderness Coast Walk (100km) or the Great South West Walk (254km)? You don’t have to do all the Great South West Walk so could trim it back to 5-7 days easily enough. These aren’t the Alps but are both great walks.

Thanks heaps Tim for your kind words about my site. I do get a lot of pleasure out of it 🙂

Avatar of Darren EdwardsDarren Edwards
      Keymaster
      Up
      Down
      ::

Hey Tim, really sorry for the slow reply. I completely missed this discussion.

Haven’t completed the entire GPT yet. Mostly because my wife and I have hiked the northern section plenty. We would like to do the southern section where we haven’t hiked as much.

Glad you think the Buller Huts Trail (my other baby) looks good. It’s a fairly accessible trail in terms of entry/exit points. So you could always try sections of it if you don’t want to tackle the whole thing.

Regarding the Walhalla to Mt Baw Baw (42k). You aren’t allowed to camp inside the Baw Baw resort boundary but would could find a spot anywhere on the plateau to camp then turn around & walk the trek back. You could setup camp, then walk into Baw Baw for a look around without your packs.

If you are looking for at least a 7 day hike, have you considered the Great South West Walk? Its a long one but you can complete sections of it and organise someone to pick you up at the end. Friends of the Great South West Walk have such a service. https://www.trailhiking.com.au/hikes/great-south-west-walk/

Thanks for your kind words about my website. I’m thrilled you find it useful.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.