Overnight hikes for beginners

Trail Hiking Australia Forums Overnight Adventures Overnight hikes for beginners

• Creator
    Topic
    Avatar of Grant HollingworthGrant Hollingworth
    Participant

Doesn’t matter what state you live in. What’s your top overnight hikes for first timers?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Avatar of Torsten BungeTorsten Bunge
      Participant
      Up
      Down
      ::

My first overnighter was to Curnow’s Hut at Bundaleer along the Heysen Trail and still use this as my go to overnight point. Can be reached from several starting points with various distances from about 10km to more than 25km. The hut can be reached by a relatively flat hike or with plenty of leg work with over 600m elevation and terrain can vary from undulating farm land to pine and eucalyptus plantations.

Avatar of Darren EdwardsDarren Edwards
      Keymaster
      Up
      Down

Hmmm, can’t really recall my first overnighter. Actually I can. It was a short hike in the Lerderderg in Victoria. Followed the start of East Walk along the river to Mine Camp. Stayed there the night then hiked back. It was only around 11ks in total but I had my sons with me who were really young at the time so didn’t want to walk too far. Was an awesome way to spend time with my boys and has led to many more overnighters and multi-day hikes with them.

Avatar of Irresist1bleIrresist1ble
      Participant
      Up
      Down

My cousin and I went on this overnight hike in Yosemite National Park. We hiked up to the top of Half Dome, It was a tough hike, but totally worth it. 🏔️

Avatar of Samantha HeraldSamantha Herald
      Participant
      Up
      Down

I’m in Vic and I always recommend the Beeripmo Walk. Can be crowded so you have to pick your moments.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.