Jatbula trail – transport options from Darwin

Trail Hiking Australia Forums Northern Territory Hikers Jatbula trail – transport options from Darwin

• Creator
    Topic
    Avatar of Kate JacobsKate Jacobs
    Participant

Any great tips for transport from Darwin (where I will fly in to), to get to the trail head then back again?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Avatar of Darren EdwardsDarren Edwards
      Keymaster
      Up
      Down
      ::

When I did this with my family a few years ago, we flew into Darwin and stayed a night at a hotel near the airport. The next day we picked up a hire car and drive to Edit Falls. We left our car at the carpark and let the people at the cafe know our rego details and when we planned to be back at the car. We then met a shuttle Bus that drove us to the trail head at Nitmiluk (Katherine) Gorge. The drive and shuttle took up most of the day so we stayed in a cabin for the night at the trail head. Next day, started the Jatbula.

After 5 days hiking, we reached the end of the hike at Edith Falls and were thrilled to have our hire car sitting there. It was so nice to get in the car and leave when we wanted to. It was also nice to have a swim at the falls and change into a fresh set of clothes before departing. I know some people catch a bus all the way from Darwin but we liked the flexibility of having our own car.

Avatar of Kate JacobsKate Jacobs
        Participant
        Up
        Down

Oh that’s awesome. Thanks Darren. Did you have any trouble leaving the car for that many days? I’m worried someone will break into it.

Avatar of Darren EdwardsDarren Edwards
        Keymaster
        Up
        Down

No trouble at all. It’s a fairly isolated spot and really only gets tourists driving in there. During the peak season, the cafe is always operating and it’s common for people to leave their cars and for the people at the cafe to keep an eye on it.

Avatar of Grant WalkerGrant Walker
        Participant
        Up
        Down

That’s a great suggestion. Last time I took the bus and found it a bit restrictive as I didn’t have the freedom of my own schedule.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.