Ideas for breakfast

Trail Hiking Australia Forums Food and Recipes Ideas for breakfast

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    Avatar of Darren EdwardsDarren Edwards
    Keymaster

When we are on multi-day hikes, I am happy to eat porridge for days on end. My wife can’t stand it but we are struggling for ideas. Any suggestions?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Avatar of Grant HollingworthGrant Hollingworth
      Participant
      Up
      Down
      ::

Yeah, totally get it about the porridge. Here’s a couple of things Iv’e tried.

1. Instant Oatmeal (as you mentioned.
      2. Granola and Yogurt (freeze-dried yogurt for longer trips)
      3. Energy Bars (high-protein and high-fiber) You’ll want a mix of carbs, fats, and protein.
      4. Trail Mix (but you might be over that if you eat it while walking
      5. Hard-Boiled Eggs (Pre-boil eggs at home and carry them in a protective container)
      6. Fruit (Fresh or dried fruit is a great source of natural sugars and vitamins)

There’s six ides. Now I’m keen to hear what others suggest.

Avatar of Irresist1bleIrresist1ble
      Participant
      Up
      Down

My wife was the same way. She couldn’t stand porridge on our hikes. We switched things up by bringing some instant noodle cups, energy bars, and even some homemade sandwiches.

Avatar of Grant HollingworthGrant Hollingworth
      Participant
      Up
      Down

They’re great suggestions. We are getting ready for an overnighter now and just had the discussion about porridge. Have opted for granola instead this time. It’s only a 3 day hike so we’ll just carry a couple of packets of Ling life milk. One small pack should do us both per day.

Avatar of Darren EdwardsDarren Edwards
        Keymaster
        Up
        Down

Well its official. Just completed a 3-day hike and we finally abandoned porridge. Carried granola instead.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.