Advice on water bladders

Trail Hiking Australia Forums Gear and Equipment Advice on water bladders

• Creator
    Topic
    Avatar of Grant WalkerGrant Walker
    Participant

For years I’ve always used individual bottles for my water rather than hydration bladders. I like the fact I can separate my water into different containers and store them in different part of my pack (especially on overnights). Also builds in a bit of redundancy in case one bottle fails. So, couple of questions for those of you that use bladders.

1. Why?
    2. What bladders have you used?
    3. Are there any brands/types you recommend?
    4. What features should I look for?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Avatar of Samantha HeraldSamantha Herald
      Participant
      Up
      Down
      ::

What ever one you use, make sure you have an ‘on/off’ valve and not just a cap as they leak. And on/off can easily be used to fill cups and things if required in a steady stream.

Avatar of Grant HollingworthGrant Hollingworth
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Following…

Avatar of Grant WalkerGrant Walker
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Why use water bladders? For me it’s convenience. I find that when carrying bottles, I don’t drink as often as I probably should as I need to stop to grab the bottles out of my pack, unless I have side pockets. One thing I do find with bladders though it that I tend to take smaller sips and can’t always tell how much I’ve drank until I check the bladder, usually at the end of my hike.

If I’m only going for a short hike, I tend to take bottles but if it’s a long day hike, overnighter or multi-day, I appreciate being able to carry 3 litres in the bladder. I do always have a reserve bottle or container just in case I get a puncture though.

Avatar of Darren EdwardsDarren Edwards
      Keymaster
      Up
      Down

Good question. You might find this article useful. https://www.trailhiking.com.au/gear/hydration-bladders-vs-water-bottles-for-hiking/

Here’s a few pros and cons for hydration bladders.

Pros:

Convenience: Hands-free hydration! You can sip water on the go without stopping to take off your backpack.
      Large capacity: Bladders typically hold more water than bottles, ideal for long hikes or hot weather.
      Weight distribution: The water weight sits close to your back, improving balance and comfort.
      Insulation: Some bladders are insulated to keep water cool in hot weather or prevent freezing in cold temperatures.
      Easy to monitor intake: Some bladders have measurement markings on the tube, so you can track how much you’re drinking.

Cons:

Cleaning and maintenance: Bladders require regular cleaning and drying to prevent mold and bacteria growth.
      Susceptible to leakage: Punctures or loose connections can lead to leaks, potentially soaking your gear.
      Difficult to share water: Sharing water from a bladder is less convenient than with bottles.
      Taste issues: Plastic taste can be a problem with some bladders, though high-quality brands are less prone to this.
      Cost: Good bladders can be more expensive than water bottles.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.