Advice on PLB’s

Trail Hiking Australia Forums Gear and Equipment Advice on PLB’s

Tagged: ,

• Creator
    Topic
    Avatar of Jake LeaneyJake Leaney
    Participant

Hi all!

I’m looking at a few hikes that are a little more remote and reportedly a bit patchy with GPS connection. I have a Garmin GPS watch and a radio, but I’ve wondered about getting a PLB – I’m confused as to what the require to work – if I’m in an area with no GPS signal are they useful still?

Also I’d love any suggestions on what specifically (brands/models) to have a look at as a starting point. 🙂

Thanks!!

Jake

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Avatar of Torsten BungeTorsten Bunge
      Participant
      Up
      Down
      ::

I use a GME MT610 and personally wouldn’t be without it on remote hikes, could be the difference between life and death in a life-threatening situation. As long as you have a clear view of the sky GPS signal shouldn’t be an issue.

Avatar of Grant HollingworthGrant Hollingworth
      Participant
      Avatar of Darren EdwardsDarren Edwards
      Keymaster
      Up
      Down

Hey Jake. I am assuming you are aware that a PLB is not a navigation aid but it critical in an emergency situation. As Torsten mentioned, as long as you have a clear view of the sky, activating your PLB should result in the signal reaching emergency services. Personally I always carry a few navigation tools (such as map, compass and GPS) and I always carry a PLB on all my hikes. I figure there’s no point leaving it at home, even on day hikes. Interestingly, it is day hikes where most people find themselves in trouble. As a search and rescue volunteer, it is very seldom that we are called out to rescue people on overnight or multi-day hikes. I have the Ocean Signal rescueME PLB1 and my wife has the GME MT610. We always carry one each event if we are hiking together. I figure if I fell off a cliff, it’d be a bit of a challenge for my wife to climb down to activate the PLB.

Avatar of Jake LeaneyJake Leaney
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Completely forgot to respond to all of these – this was super helpful though!! Thanks for the advice and info, I really appreciate everyone’s time responding. I ended up settling on the GME and certainly feel more equipped to try some more adventurous and remote hikes.

Interesting about most rescues happening on day hikes too… not surprising when thinking on it, but a good reminder to stay vigilant with safety even for those shorter adventures. Happy hiking all!

Jake

Avatar of Darren EdwardsDarren Edwards
        Keymaster
        Up
        Down

No trouble at all Jake. Glad the info was helpful and you settled on the GME. Regarding the day hikes, and people getting lost most often on those. I believe when people are planning overnighter or multi-day hikes they generally spend more time planning their hikes. When heading out on a day hike, people seem to plan less, and some not at all, thinking it’s only a day out so what could possibly go wrong. Its most often day trippers who don’t hike often who may not take the necessary steps to prepare.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.