Yeah, totally get it about the porridge. Here’s a couple of things Iv’e tried.
1. Instant Oatmeal (as you mentioned.
2. Granola and Yogurt (freeze-dried yogurt for longer trips)
3. Energy Bars (high-protein and high-fiber) You’ll want a mix of carbs, fats, and protein.
4. Trail Mix (but you might be over that if you eat it while walking
5. Hard-Boiled Eggs (Pre-boil eggs at home and carry them in a protective container)
6. Fruit (Fresh or dried fruit is a great source of natural sugars and vitamins)
There’s six ides. Now I’m keen to hear what others suggest.