Keep the Trail Access info current...
Select items to indicate conditions for access to the trail.
Large Car Park
Small Car Park
Keep the Trail Features current...
Kosciuszko National Park...
Select items to indicate features found along the trail.
Prams & Strollers
Mountain Bike Trail
Historic Rail Trail
Coast & Beach
Waterfalls & Lakes
Goldfields & Mining
Take the lovely Thredbo River track for a taste of Kosciuszko's beautiful sub-alpine flora.
See gums growing around granite boulders and watch the river race beneath your feet as you cross the footbridges. Stroll through the snow gum woodlands and enjoy the views down to the river. Keep your eyes on the river for trout and platypus - look for circular ripple patterns.
The walk is about 8km return from Thredbo Village golf course, however you can break it up into a shorter walk, or loop back to the village along the Riverside - Golf Course walk if you only have part of the day or are walking with children.
About the region
Kosciuszko National Park spoils you with snow sports, walks and mountain biking in the Snowy Mountains. Go camping, explore caves, climb Australia's highest mountain, or stay in heritage accommodation. There are 7 areas in this park:
1. Thredbo-Perisher area is your gateway to Mount Kosciuszko. Find NSW's favourite ski resorts, top alpine hikes, mountain bike trails, and endless adventures in the Snowy Mountains.
2. The Lower Snowy River area embraces the wild south of Kosciuszko National Park. Camp by the Snowy River and explore the scenic trails on a walk, bike or horse ride.
3. Khancoban area is the western gateway to Kosciuszko National Park. Discover Geehi and Tom Groggin's camp spots, fishing, and riding. Marvel at the Western Fall views or explore huts and hikes in the Jagungal Wilderness.
4. The Selwyn area is your perfect base to explore the walks, rides, and top fishing spots of central Kosciuszko National Park. Selwyn Snow Resort and historic Kiandra are closed due to severe fire damage.
5. The Yarrangobilly area is a highlight of northern Kosciuszko National Park. Explore jaw-dropping caves on a guided tour and swim in the thermal pool. Stay at historic Caves House and enjoy the walks and wildlife.
6. The Tumut area is your launch pad into northern Kosciuszko National Park. Discover water sports and wildlife at Blowering Reservoir. Camp and explore hidden walks and waterfalls in the foothills of the Snowy Mountains.
7. The High Plains area spoils you with summer walks, horse rides and bike trails to mountain huts, caves, and gorges. Camp, stay in Currango's heritage cottages, and discover Kosciuszko's wild north-east corner.
To Cascade Trail carpark. Thredbo River walk track at Thredbo village. Drive along Friday Drive and stop near the bottom of the golf course and you'll find the entry to the track posted.You can also begin the walk at Cascade trailhead. Continue driving past Thredbo village along Alpine Way and there will be a small car park on your left with a sign for Cascade trailhead. On the opposite site of the road is one end of Thredbo River track. Park entry points Cascade Trail carpark See on map Road quality All 2WD vehicles need to carry snow chains in winter, between June and October long weekends, on: Kosciuszko Road (to Perisher) Guthega Road Alpine Way between Thredbo and Tom Groggin Snow chains are recommended for all vehicles driving in the park, including 4WD and AWD, in the event of extreme weather. Read our snow driving in Kosciuszko tips.
Visit NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service for more information on this trail.
The longitude and latitude of the start and end points are approximately only and should not be used for navigation purposes. Please contact me if you know the correct coordinates.