Keep the Trail Access info current...
Select items to indicate conditions for access to the trail.
Large Car Park
Small Car Park
Keep the Trail Features current...
Kosciuszko National Park...
Select items to indicate features found along the trail.
Prams & Strollers
Mountain Bike Trail
Historic Rail Trail
Coast & Beach
Waterfalls & Lakes
Goldfields & Mining
This short and easy stroll is perfect for the whole family. Beginning from the northern end of Sawpit Creek picnic area, the walk follows Sawpit Creek through a woodland of candlebark, bark sallee, white sallee, manna gum, mountain gum and woolly tee tree. If you walk quietly you're likely to see birds and kangaroos along the track, while the crystal clear waters of the creek hide trout.
Follow the signs to loop back to Kosciuszko Tourist Park and make your way to Sawpit Creek picnic area, where you can enjoy a tasty picnic or barbecue lunch.
For a longer walk, follow Pallaibo walking track to Thredbo River picnic area. You can also access Sawpit walking track from nearby Kosciuszko Education Centre via a short paved track.
About the region
Kosciuszko National Park spoils you with snow sports, walks and mountain biking in the Snowy Mountains. Go camping, explore caves, climb Australia's highest mountain, or stay in heritage accommodation. There are 7 areas in this park:
1. Thredbo-Perisher area is your gateway to Mount Kosciuszko. Find NSW's favourite ski resorts, top alpine hikes, mountain bike trails, and endless adventures in the Snowy Mountains.
2. The Lower Snowy River area embraces the wild south of Kosciuszko National Park. Camp by the Snowy River and explore the scenic trails on a walk, bike or horse ride.
3. Khancoban area is the western gateway to Kosciuszko National Park. Discover Geehi and Tom Groggin's camp spots, fishing, and riding. Marvel at the Western Fall views or explore huts and hikes in the Jagungal Wilderness.
4. The Selwyn area is your perfect base to explore the walks, rides, and top fishing spots of central Kosciuszko National Park. Selwyn Snow Resort and historic Kiandra are closed due to severe fire damage.
5. The Yarrangobilly area is a highlight of northern Kosciuszko National Park. Explore jaw-dropping caves on a guided tour and swim in the thermal pool. Stay at historic Caves House and enjoy the walks and wildlife.
6. The Tumut area is your launch pad into northern Kosciuszko National Park. Discover water sports and wildlife at Blowering Reservoir. Camp and explore hidden walks and waterfalls in the foothills of the Snowy Mountains.
7. The High Plains area spoils you with summer walks, horse rides and bike trails to mountain huts, caves, and gorges. Camp, stay in Currango's heritage cottages, and discover Kosciuszko's wild north-east corner.
Sawpit walking track starts at Sawpit Creek picnic area in the southern precinct of Kosciuszko National Park.To get there:Drive along Kosciuszko Road from Jindabyne towards Perisher Valley400m past Kosciuszko Education Centre, turn left into Kosciuszko Mountain RetreatTake the first left down a short dirt road to reach the picnic areaThe picnic area can be accessed via a short paved walk from Kosciuszko Education Centre. Road quality All 2WD vehicles need to carry snow chains in winter, between June and October long weekends, on: Kosciuszko Road (to Perisher) Guthega Road Alpine Way between Thredbo and Tom Groggin Snow chains are recommended for all vehicles driving in the park, including 4WD and AWD, in the event of extreme weather. Read our snow driving in Kosciuszko tips. Parking Parking is available at Sawpit Creek picnic area and Kosciuszko Education Centre. Bus parking is available at the education centre.
Visit NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service for more information on this trail.
The longitude and latitude of the start and end points are approximately only and should not be used for navigation purposes. Please contact me if you know the correct coordinates.