Keep the Trail Access info current...
Select items to indicate conditions for access to the trail.
Large Car Park
Small Car Park
Keep the Trail Features current...
Kosciuszko National Park...
Select items to indicate features found along the trail.
Prams & Strollers
Mountain Bike Trail
Historic Rail Trail
Coast & Beach
Waterfalls & Lakes
Goldfields & Mining
Muzzlewood track combines the exhilarating thrill of a mountain bike adventure, with the natural beauty of the Snowy Mountains, only 22km from Jindabyne.
Starting from either Thredbo Diggings campground or Bullocks Flat Skitube Carpark D, the track winds around Muzzlewood Wetland. The wetland teems with waterbirds, so keep an eye out for cormorants, pelicans and black swans.
This 30min ride, or 1hr walk, is graded intermediate, so expect some steep hills and a few tricky obstacles (and sometimes animals) on the narrow track. It's a great alternative to the nearby section of Thredbo Valley track, if you're looking to test your mountain bike skills.
Try not to be distracted by the views of the Ramshead Range, which can be capped with snow at any time of year. In spring and early summer, flowering shrubs such as gorse bitter pea, and a variety of wattle add a splash of colour along the track.
Return the way you came or loop back via Thredbo Valley track or Bullocks walking track and historic Bullocks Hut. For a longer ride, continue along Thredbo Valley track towards Thredbo Village, or the more remote track extension beyond Bullocks Hut.
About the region
Kosciuszko National Park spoils you with snow sports, walks and mountain biking in the Snowy Mountains. Go camping, explore caves, climb Australia's highest mountain, or stay in heritage accommodation. There are 7 areas in this park:
1. Thredbo-Perisher area is your gateway to Mount Kosciuszko. Find NSW's favourite ski resorts, top alpine hikes, mountain bike trails, and endless adventures in the Snowy Mountains.
2. The Lower Snowy River area embraces the wild south of Kosciuszko National Park. Camp by the Snowy River and explore the scenic trails on a walk, bike or horse ride.
3. Khancoban area is the western gateway to Kosciuszko National Park. Discover Geehi and Tom Groggin's camp spots, fishing, and riding. Marvel at the Western Fall views or explore huts and hikes in the Jagungal Wilderness.
4. The Selwyn area is your perfect base to explore the walks, rides, and top fishing spots of central Kosciuszko National Park. Selwyn Snow Resort and historic Kiandra are closed due to severe fire damage.
5. The Yarrangobilly area is a highlight of northern Kosciuszko National Park. Explore jaw-dropping caves on a guided tour and swim in the thermal pool. Stay at historic Caves House and enjoy the walks and wildlife.
6. The Tumut area is your launch pad into northern Kosciuszko National Park. Discover water sports and wildlife at Blowering Reservoir. Camp and explore hidden walks and waterfalls in the foothills of the Snowy Mountains.
7. The High Plains area spoils you with summer walks, horse rides and bike trails to mountain huts, caves, and gorges. Camp, stay in Currango's heritage cottages, and discover Kosciuszko's wild north-east corner.
Muzzlewood track is located in the Thredbo area of Kosciuszko National Park. To get there:From Jindabyne:Leave Jindabyne on Kosciuszko Road.After 3km, turn left onto Alpine Way, towards Thredbo Village. Continue around 17km then turn right at the Bullocks Flat Skitube turnoff.Follow the signs to Carpark D.You can also continue another 2km along Alpine Way and turn right at the Thredbo Diggings campground turnoff (park entry fees apply).From Khancoban:Follow Alpine Way towards Thredbo Village and Jindabyne.The Thredbo Diggings campground turnoff is 11.5km beyond the Thredbo. The Skitube turnoff is 13.5km past Thredbo. Road quality The road to Thredbo Diggings campground from Alpine Way is unsealed. Long vehicle access may be restricted at the campground during peak periods. All 2WD vehicles need to carry snow chains in winter, between June and October long weekends, on Alpine Way between Thredbo and Tom Groggin. Snow chains are recommended for all vehicles driving in the park, including 4WD and AWD, in the event of extreme weather. Read our snow driving in Kosciuszko tips. Sealed roads Vehicle access 2WD vehicles Weather restrictions Snow chains required after snow Parking Parking is available at Bullocks Flat Carpark D and at Thredbo Diggings campground.
The track is an intermediate 30min bike ride or 1hr walk, one-way.
If you're riding a bike, please give way to walkers.
Muzzlewood track may close to the public during major events on several weekends in February. Check track closure alerts before you arrive.
Remember to clean your bike and footwear before and after using the tracks, to help prevent the spread of weeds and pathogens.
The track can be busy during school holidays. Visit midweek and you may have this natural wonderland to yourself.
Visit NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service for more information on this trail.
The longitude and latitude of the start and end points are approximately only and should not be used for navigation purposes. Please contact me if you know the correct coordinates.