Trail only accessible when the power station is staffed. Usually Mondays to Thursdays (approx 9am to 4pm). Visitors should report to the power station before starting the walk.
Photograph of a view of the trail and pipeline at the National Library of Australia Photograph Collection
Photograph of a view of Lake Margaret at the National Library of Australia Photograph Collection
The historic hydro-electric power station still uses alternators dating from when it was commissioned in 1914. The 1938 King Billy Pine timber pipeline was in use until 30 June 2006 when its deteriorating condition resulted in the station’s closure. A new pipeline has now been constructed, once again out of local timber, and the power station is once again operating,
Hydro Tasmania do not publicise the walk, but local staff may allow access on request, subject to works that may be occurring. The access road to the power station is gated and only accessible when the power station is staffed. For further information phone Hydro Tasmanias Tullah office on 03 6420 4002.
- Lake Margaret Power Station to Dam Wall
- Near Queenstown, 268km from Hobart
- Surface – Coarse gravel, Sealed
- Terrain – Mountainous
For more information and a location map please visit RailTrails Australia.